Playlist


Sunday, January 4, 2009

Reading

Today, Hubby, BigBro and I went to Rolling Hills (a church in Tualatin, Oregon). BigBro absolutely refused to go upstairs to make new friends and play with the other kids his age (in the Sprouts classroom)... He wanted to spend the entire time sitting with us. He talked, wiggled, colored and played while we shushed him -- all the while, trying to listen to the pastor speak. What a turkey!

Anyway, I've decided that this isn't the 'home' for me because the 'guest' pastors over the last couple of months have been great, but the regular pastor is abysmal. He's a shining light as to why I stopped going regularly to church years ago. I just don't understand the divisiveness and judgemental nature of a "loving" church leader. I do believe there's right and wrong, but whom will be the first to cast the stone? We all sin differently, but none-the-less, we're all sinners. Does that mean that if you don't believe exactly A-B-C-X-Y-Z that you're going to burn for all eternal damnation?!? Or how about a peaceful Buddhist that lives their life in peace, compassion and love - just because they don't believe in exactly the same rigid definition of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit (as I do) - then they too are going to the sulphur pit? Honestly, I believe that's just not true. You see, in many ways the various authors of the bible got it so right, yet so very wrong. Have you ever stopped to consider that The Good Book was written by imperfect sinning humans? All decades after the actual happenings (ie Jesus' time?), with many authored works thrown out (omitted from the bible) by religious leaders - and, then later translated by imperfect sinning humans because we do not all understand the original languages they were written in.

Anyway, enough of my rant... What I had gotten out of today's service was this- I remembered how Psalm is one of my very favorite books and re-read these gems (the services had directed us to a very different part of Psalm, but I seem to always do my own thing)

119:65-72
Do good to your servant according to your word, O Lord. Teach me knowledge and good judgement, for I believe in your commands. Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word. You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees. Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies, I keep your precepts with all my heart. Their hearts are callous and unfeeling, but I delight in your law. It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees. The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.

119:73-77
Your hands made me and formed me; give me understanding to learn your commands. May those who fear you rejoice when they see me, for I have put my hope in your word. I know, O Lord, that your laws are righteous, and in faithfulness you have afflicted me. May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant. Let your compassion come to me that I may live, for your law is my delight.

119:92-93
If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life.

123:3
Have mercy on us, O Lord, have mercy on us, for we have endured much contempt.

139:1-18
O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise, you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord. You hem me in-behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you.

Later on, I re-read the entire book of Job. After which, I started a new book I had just gotten from Amazon. It's called The Underground History Of American Education by John Taylor Gatto.

No comments: